Friday, December 10, 2010

Diabetes Education in Tribal Schools (DETS) K-12 diabetes awareness curriculm

http://www3.niddk.nih.gov/fund/other/dets/index.htm

I found this great site on Diabetes education in First Nations Tribal schools.
The DETS Health Is Life in Balance curriculum has been designed to increase American Indian and Alaska Native students understanding of health, diabetes, and maintaining life in balance; to increase their understanding and application of scientific and community knowledge; and to increase interest in science and health professions among American Indian and Alaska Native youth.
Although it is American I think that this site will be very useful to me, because we don't really have a big program(k-12) like this in Canada. In my home community and in my current family diabetes is a big issue amongst First Nations people. I think a diabetes awareness curriculum like this one would also be useful in more First Nations Canadian Tribal Schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment